The leadership of the Event Vendors Association of Ghana, EVAG, has called on its members to fully adhere to the government’s directives that come with the easing of the ban on social gatherings which subsequently affects social events.
President Akufo-Addo in a televised address on Sunday night, May 31, 2020, announced some changes to ease the burden of existing restrictions on various people and different aspects of the economy.
He said beginning from Friday, June 5, 2020, a total of 100 people can now attend private burials, wedding ceremonies, conferences and workshops.
“Private burials, now with a maximum of one hundred (100) persons, can continue to be performed. Restaurants, providing seated services, can operate under appropriate social distancing arrangements and hygiene protocols. Individual, non-contact sports can go ahead. Conferences, workshops, weddings, and political activities, except rallies, can now take place, but with limited numbers not exceeding one hundred (100) persons present, with the appropriate social distancing and hygiene protocols” The President said.
One the back of government’s directives, the President of EVAG, Kate Hassan, has advised members of the Association to adhere to the 100 persons per Event guideline in order not to force government to lock-down the country again.
“All these are supposed to be done whiles observing the physical distancing protocols as well as other protocols to help prevent the spread of the deadly disease”.
She also thanked government the decision that allows event vendors to start operating considering the impact of the restrictions on their activities in the past two months.
Event Vendors lament locked-up cash after cancellation of events over COVID-19
The Event Vendors Association of Ghana, an umbrella body for event companies in the country, on March 26 said many of its members had been hit hard by the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Due to the ban on public gatherings and the practice of social distancing in a bid to spread the virus, many events locally and globally have been cancelled.
The Association, comprising hundreds of event organizers, says the nature of their operations require pre-financing, for which reason many of them invested thousands of cedis into events that have been cancelled, after government banned public gatherings to curtail the spread of COVID-19.