The Ghana National Fire Service has directed two fast food joints, located at Kwame Nkrumah circle in Accra, Mr Biggs & Odo rice to fix all their fire systems within 24 hours or face sanctions.
The directive comes a few days after a fire outbreak gutted Vienna city night club at the Nkrumah Circle, in Accra.
[contextly_sidebar id=”HL11TaEKA42VJAB0KEWG96QiVYwXa7Iv”]The fire service gave the warning after an inspection tour of the two eateries on Friday April 8,2016.
Per the law owners of public places who flout the fire regulation act L I 17 24, which requires that they have adequate fire safety measures, can be fined, imprisoned or both.
Speaking to Citi Business News after the inspection tour, Assistant Chief Fire Officer Ebenezer Simpson explained that “six out of eight fire extinguishers at odo rice restaurant weren’t serviceable but we have given 24 hours ultimatum to service their entire extinguisher”.
He added that at “Mr. Biggs, the restaurant’s electrical wires weren’t professionally done, the control panel for early fire detecting system is also not functioning and their fire extinguishers are expired. The restaurant was also given a 24 hours ultimatum to fix all issues with the fire security systems”. He said.
The fire service has also directed the grand view hotel, locate in Accra to also make a number of amendments relating to its fire systems immediately.
According to Ebenezer Simpson “we realized that four of the fire extinguishers were functioning properly out of five.
At the hotel the main access to the building has been obstructed by a transformer so we have advised the owner to get in touch with ECG to immediately relocate it”.
By: Philip Yartey/citibusinessnews.com/Ghana